Cardiac rehab at Norwalk Hospital is a carefully tailored program that involves monitored exercise, nutritional counseling, emotional support, and education about lifestyle changes. Participants are educated to become active self-managers of their health.
Cardiac rehab programs have three phases:
- Phase 1 is an inpatient education meeting regarding lifestyle changes.
- Phase 2 is a 12-week (three times a week) regimen and dietary counseling by physician referral following a patient’s hospital discharge.
- At the end of Phase 2, patients have the option of joining the Phase 3 maintenance program, which is focused on ongoing exercise, lifestyle modification and maintaining gains.
All programs are led by experienced exercise physiologists, and all staff members are certified in advanced cardiac life support.
Conditions that make you eligible to participate in cardiac rehab:
- Acute myocardial infarction (heart attack)
- Coronary artery bypass surgery
- Stable angina
- Angioplasty/stent placement
- Valve replacement/repairHeart transplant