What You Need to Know About EMS
If you live in Norwalk or the surrounding towns (New Canaan, Westport, Wilton and Weston), you should know that the fastest, most effective way to get emergency medical treatment is to dial 9-1-1. At Norwalk Hospital, emergency treatment begins the moment you make the call. We are the only hospital in Connecticut to staff our ambulances with our own skilled and highly trained personnel.
Emergency Medical Services at Norwalk Hospital
Our Emergency Medical Service provides advanced, pre-hospital care by state-licensed paramedics and certified emergency medical technicians (EMTs). Our services include:
- Immediate care. In constant contact with emergency physicians, our skilled paramedics and EMTs begin delivering care on the spot, saving valuable minutes by providing advanced monitoring, medications and interventions in transit.
- Ambulances equipped with advanced technology. Considered “mini intensive care units on wheels,” our ambulances feature sophisticated medical technologies and equipment, including remote telemedicine systems. This allows our paramedics and EMTs, under the direction of an emergency physician, to begin diagnosing and treating patients on the scene.
- Advance preparation for incoming emergencies. Valuable members of our team, our EMS staff provides ongoing updates to emergency physicians, ensuring that staff and resources are ready and waiting upon arrival.
- Collaborative care. Patients appreciate knowing that the emergency response team who cared for them on the way to the hospital continues their care inside, working collaboratively with our Emergency Department staff to make a smooth, comfortable transition.
- Community education. Our paramedics and EMTs provide exceptional public service and preventive education. Each year they spend time at local schools, health fairs and other community events teaching children and adults about safety, injury prevention and when to call 9-1-1.
- Special event coverage. For all types of events, large and small, EMS offers a range of services, from single provider to multiple ambulances. Our professional event staff has the experience necessary to assist in planning medical coverage for your event. To arrange EMS standby coverage, please contact us at 203-852-2259.