Our lung cancer specialists have expertise in the use of advanced diagnostic techniques. Your doctor may suggest one or a combination of these:
- CT scan - used to visualize organs within the chest, abdomen or pelvis though cross sectional imaging of the body using x-rays and a computer
- PET scan - a form of 3-D imaging that provides more definitive information about cancerous tumors and other lesions located throughout the body
- MRI - a type of imaging that uses a powerful magnet to provide detailed images
Biopsy procedure to obtain tissue for diagnosis:
- Needle biopsy: Needle biopsy, also called image-guided biopsy, is usually performed using a moving x-ray technique (fluoroscopy) computed tomography (CT), ultrasound or magnetic resonance (MR) to guide the procedure.
- Endobronchial ultrasound (EBUS): A minimally invasive biopsy technique to sample the lymph nodes in your chest during bronchoscopy, under ultrasound guidance.
- Navigational biopsy: Allows the interventional pulmonologist or thoracic surgeon to biopsy the lung lesion with the help of computerized mapping, trans-bronchially from inside the airway.
- Mediastinoscopy: A procedure that enables visualization of the contents of the mediastinum, usually for the purpose of obtaining a biopsy.
Our board certified pathologists and cytopathologists are specialists in the critical evaluation of and diagnosis of diseases. They work closely with the medical and surgical team in the diagnosis of cancer. Our accredited laboratory is committed to the latest and most trusted methods of testing to guarantee the accuracy and quality of each analysis for a cancer diagnosis in the shortest time possible.
- Histopathology evaluation of all diagnostic and surgical specimens, including intraoperative consultation (frozen section) when appropriate.
- Immunohistochemical (IHC) testing of cancer tissue.
- Availability of comprehensive molecular testing of cancer tissue
- Second pathologist review for every diagnosis
Discover ways you can improve your health and feel well.
Get info on what changes you can make to improve your health and how to make them.
Unlock the power of food to help restore and maintain wellness.