Maternity and Postpartum Care
Once you’ve given birth, we’ll help you settle comfortably into a private room, where we will provide care and support as your new family gets acquainted.
Each room is designed for your comfort, with soft lighting, pleasant artwork and a homelike décor. Every room includes amenities to help you rest comfortably and bond with your new baby:
- Comfortable sleeping accommodations for partners
- Flat-screen television
- Wireless Internet access and telephone
- Private bathrooms with showers
- Special features such as a whirlpool tub
- Family lounge (a separate welcoming area for families awaiting the new arrival)
- Complimentary massage
We provide a private celebration brunch for two prior to discharge that includes linen napkins, china and champagne flutes delivered to your room on the day of your choosing. This elegant meal gives parents a chance for a few private moments before going home with their new baby.
Though the days and weeks after birth are a joyous time, they can also be stressful as both you and your baby adjust to a new and different world. Norwalk Hospital is here with expert care and supportive services for your whole family. Our pediatricians and pediatric specialty physicians provide tender, loving care from the very first moments of life.
Information and Support
We offer a variety of programs and materials to meet the educational needs of every member of your family.
Calendar and Brochure
- Click here to download our Women and Children’s Services Childbirth Center Booklet for more details about programs and tours.
- To register for any of our programs, call 1-866-NHB-WELL or visit our Programs Calendar to see when classes and tours are offered.
Moms with newborns are invited to attend the weekly group supporting the new chapter of their lives. Discussions may include adjusting to the role of mothering, changes in sleep, returning to work, time for self.
Moms are welcome to attend the weekly group with babies up to 3 months of age and are expected to register monthly. Registration gives us a way to contact you in case the group is cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances such as inclement weather.
Wednesdays @ 12 noon to 1:30PM
Pediatric Conference Room, 4th Floor
Open Monthly Enrollment
Seat Count: 15
New Mother’s Help Line
Our 24-hour telephone help line provides support for new mothers after they go home from the Childbirth Center. Call 203-852-2323.
Breastfeeding is best for both you and your baby. We’re here to help, with breastfeeding support and lactation consultants.
A certified lactation consultant, or International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC), has completed coursework, clinical practice hours, and passed a standardized exam that covers infant feeding, breast anatomy, milk production, management of breastfeeding complications, and stages of infant development. The goal of our lactation consultants is to support, promote and encourage breastfeeding through education and personal support.
Norwalk Hospital’s lactation consultants offer:
- Prenatal breastfeeding classes
- In-hospital bedside breastfeeding support and consultation
- “Help Line” for questions after you have been discharged from the hospital. Call 203-852-2323.
- Mom’s Circle, New Moms Support Group, please call: 866-642-9355 for dates and registration
- Instructions and demonstrations on the use of breast pumps
Our Certified Lactation Consultants
- Michele Romano, MS, RN, IBCLC
- Lynn Denicola-Higgins, RNC, BSN, IBCLC
- Ronni Casey, RNC, MA, IBCLC
To contact our lactation consultants, please call 203-852-3390.
Pregnancy, Childbirth and Post-Partum Care