Norwalk Hospital offers an outpatient diabetes self-management education program, including specific diabetes-related nutrition counseling, plus other services to support your good health. We are experts in diabetes and you are the expert in your life; together, we can create a plan to meet your goals.
All program sessions meet at Norwalk Hospital. Language interpretation services are available.
Outpatient Diabetes Self-Management Program
If you have diabetes, you can take charge of your health—and your life. Norwalk Hospital’s Outpatient Diabetes Self-Management Program is recognized by the American Diabetes Association for Quality Self-Management Education.
Providing the knowledge and skills you need to successfully manage this potentially life-threatening condition, Norwalk Hospital’s Diabetes Self-Management program is staffed by certified diabetes educators (certified nurse practitioners and nutritionists) who are recognized for their experience and expertise. Our outpatient services are tailored to meet each participant’s individual needs, including learning styles, cultural preference and medical goals. We help you fit diabetes into your life.
Designed for those with type 1, type 2 or gestational diabetes (diabetes during pregnancy), services include:
- Basic diabetes training for the newly diagnosed
- Nutrition and exercise counseling
- Carbohydrate counting skills, basic and advanced
- Individualized nutrition planning
- Continuous glucose monitoring training
- Insulin pump training and support
- Therapeutic diets for those with diabetes and other medical conditions or dietary preferences (such as gluten-free, celiac disease or kidney disease)
- Discussion of alternative diets (we are open minded and want diabetes nutrition to work for you and your lifestyle)
- Understanding medications
- Coping and problem-solving methods
- Reduction of complication risks
- Healthy goal setting
- Yearly follow-up training
Group Sessions: Outpatient Diabetes Self-Management
Group sessions meet Monday – Friday, 10 am – 12 noon and evenings from 6:30 – 8:30 pm.
One-on-One Diabetes Education
We offer personalized, one-on-one training sessions Monday – Friday, from 6:30 am to 4:30 pm.
Outcomes and Results
How does our Outpatient Diabetes Self-Management Education Program make a difference? Take a look at the results we’ve achieved with our patients.
Of the patients we’ve worked with:
- 94% now have a better understanding of, and adherence to, prescribed medications
- 93% have improved glucose monitoring skills
- 92% developed healthier eating habits
- 87% learned how to reduce their risk for complications
- 78% commit to living a more active lifestyle
Most insurance plans cover ADA Recognized diabetes self-management education. Norwalk Hospital is also a Medicare-certified provider.
Medicare allows for 10 hours of diabetes self-management training for first-time users of this Medicare benefit and there is also a yearly update benefit available for Medicare beneficiaries. Please call us at 203-852-2181 for further details and to determine your individual coverage.