Norwalk Hospital Weight Loss Surgery
If achieving a healthy weight is a struggle for you or a member of your family, you are not alone – and we can help. Norwalk Hospital’s Nationally Accredited Center for Surgical Weight Loss offers a wide range of bariatric surgery procedures for people in Connecticut and Westchester. A great first step? Attend one of our free weight loss seminars so you can learn, first hand, how our program works.
We are here to help you learn about your weight loss surgery options and, if you decide to go forward, to help it happen. Please visit us at one of our free seminars where we can answer your questions about insurance coverage, what’s involved, and other topics.
Many weight-loss surgeries are covered by health insurance. Every plan is different and benefits change often. Our insurance experts will acquire the necessary information and help you through the process of getting approved for your procedure. If it is determined that you do not have coverage for bariatric surgery please don’t be discouraged. Our office can provide you with various financing options. We can direct you to financing companies who specialize in funding weight-loss surgical procedures. Also, you have the option of paying for your procedure in full or on a payment plan that is right for your personal situation.
We are here to assist and support you every step of the way, from your initial decision to the actual surgery to the aftercare for your long-term weight loss. Our staff will help you through the process. We are here to address your fears, alleviate your pressures and try to overcome your concerns.
Norwalk Hospital has a longstanding reputation for excellence and innovation in bariatric (weight loss) surgery. Our Surgical Weight Loss Program has been reaccredited by the American College of Surgeons (ACS) Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and the Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP) as a Comprehensive Center of Excellence. This accreditation formally acknowledges our commitment to providing and supporting quality improvement and patient safety efforts for bariatric and metabolic surgery patients. Norwalk Hospital has also been designated a Nationally Accredited Center by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS). The most rigorous standards in the industry must be met to receive this certification.
Norwalk Hospital’s Nationally Accredited Center for Surgical Weight Loss, Connecticut’s leading weight-loss surgery facility, performs the most advanced laparoscopic weight-loss procedures using the highest standard of surgical care. We also offer robotic surgery options, using our advanced da Vinci robotic surgical system for gastric bypass and sleeve gastrectomy.
Our expert team of surgeons, physician assistants, nutritionists, psychologists and specially trained staff provides encouragement and support every step of the way. We’re committed to your long-term success—our weight-loss specialists are available 365 days a year to help you on your journey.
We offer several types of bariatric (weight loss) surgery. Skilled in laparoscopic procedures, our surgeons specialize in innovative techniques, such as single-incision laparoscopic surgery, and the use of sophisticated technology, including the robotic da Vinci Surgical System.
Together you and your surgeon will decide which procedure is best for you. Our mission is to help you succeed, once and for all. Available to you 365 days a year, our comprehensive weight loss surgery program provides a full range of services, along with continued support in your weight loss journey. Weight loss surgery procedures available at Norwalk Hospital include:
- Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding: An adjustable silicone band (Realize Band™ or LAP-BAND® system) is placed laparoscopically around the top portion of the stomach. The weight loss occurs because the band restricts the amount of food the patient can eat while also decreasing the sensation of hunger patients feel. Unlike other procedures, gastric banding does not require any incision or removal of any part of the digestive system. It is a reversible procedure.
- Single Incision Gastric Banding: Identical to the laparoscopic gastric band, this procedure is done through a single small incision near the belly button.
- Laparoscopic Gastric Sleeve: This operation makes the stomach smaller, reducing it to the size of a small banana. With the majority of the stomach removed, patients have less hunger and feel the sensation of fullness after eating less food. Nutrient absorption is not affected since food passes through the digestive tract in the usual way.
- Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass: This surgery decreases the size of the stomach and also partially bypasses the small intestine, limiting how many calories are taken in. The “lap gastric bypass” is highly effective for two reasons: patients eat less and feel full quickly, and also do not fully absorb the food they eat.
- Revisional Bariatric Surgery: For a variety of reasons, some patients do not lose as much of their excess weight as expected and/or end up regaining weight afterward. When this happens, our surgeons perform a thorough analysis of the previous surgery, including a study of all factors that contributed to its ultimate result. If appropriate, a follow-up procedure, referred to as a bariatric surgery revision, may be required to alter or repair the initial bariatric surgery.
- Robotic Surgery: Similar to laparoscopic surgery since it is performed through incisions significantly smaller than those required by traditional surgery, the robotic surgical system allows for small, precise movements that bring certain advantages over other techniques. We are currently offering the da Vinci robot for our bariatric surgeries.
Weight loss surgery is a way for people who are “morbidly obese” to regain their lives and improve or even cure their life-threatening illnesses. In fact:
- 82% of type 2 diabetes can be resolved.
- 75% of high blood pressure can be cured.
- 75% of sleep apnea can be cured.
- 90% of medical problems get better.
…with weight-loss surgery at Norwalk Hospital’s Nationally Accredited Center for Surgical Weight Loss.
Our unique, comprehensive and safe program is individualized to each patient’s needs. We are here to not only help you lose weight, but keep it off. We offer ongoing support groups, a key component to your success. Our team makes it easy to maintain your weight loss over time, guiding you on a lifelong path to freedom from obesity and a life that is safe, enjoyable and satisfying.
Norwalk Hospital’s Nationally Accredited Center for Surgical Weight Loss
34 Maple Street
Norwalk, CT 06856
Phone: (203) 852-3050
Discover ways you can improve your health and feel well.More about Feeling Well
Get info on what changes you can make to improve your health and how to make them.More about Living Well
Unlock the power of food to help restore and maintain wellness.More about Eating Well