NORWALK, Connecticut – September 9, 2016 – Western Connecticut Health Network (WCHN) and the Riverbrook Regional YMCA (formerly known as the Wilton Family Y and the Norwalk-Wilton Y) have teamed up to launch the Healthy Living Partnership to promote and facilitate health and wellness programs in the community. The partnership, supported by community philanthropy, aims to deliver community-based health and wellness services in innovative new ways rooted in a common commitment to promote principles of wellness through supportive lifestyle changes.
The Healthy Living Partnership integrates WCHN registered nurse Ellen Ryan who will serve as a wellness coach at the Wilton Family YMCA location. She will guide community members through the numerous chronic disease management programs now being offered at the YMCA and will also serve as a health coach for YMCA members; promoting healthy lifestyles, good nutrition, physical activity and disease prevention and management.
Preventive screenings and chronic disease management programs offered include:
- Diabetes Prevention Program – The program helps those at risk for developing type 2 diabetes by adopting healthy lifestyle and eating habits.
- Livestrong Program - A Cancer survivor exercise program with a focus on Cancer prevention and early detection.
- Enhance Fitness Program - Physical activity program designed for those suffering from Arthritis. Active Older Adults may also benefit along with those with limited mobility.
- Cardiac Care Program – Post-cardiac rehabilitation exercise monitoring/program-nutrition and physical activity designed to help those who have experienced a cardiac event or those at risk looking for assistance in preventing one from happening.
- Blood Pressure Self-monitoring Program – The program is an evidence-based program designed to help participants with hypertension lower their blood pressure.
- Delay The Disease Program – This is a functional fitness program designed to empower people with Parkinson’s disease by optimizing their physical function and helping to delay the progressions of symptoms.
- Healthy Weight & Your Child Program - A wellness program designed for youth ages 7-13 who are in the 95% weight percentile
- A Matter of Balance Program – This is an 8-week structured group intervention program for older adults. The program emphasizes practical strategies to reduce fear of falling, reduce fall risk factors and increase activity levels.
- Freedom From Smoking - The American Lung Association's Freedom From Smoking® (FFS) program is for adults who are ready to quit smoking. Day and evening classes are currently forming both on-site at the YMCA and at various off-site locations.
“With chronic disease affecting half of all Americans ─ we are constantly seeking new solutions for stemming the tide,” Michael Daglio, President, Norwalk Hospital. “We are thrilled to be partnering with the Riverbrook Regional YMCA on this important initiative and grateful for the generous donations that made it possible.”
“Joining forces with such an incredible health care partner is a win-win for all,” Robert McDowell, CEO, Riverbrook Regional YMCA. “By leveraging our combined resources, expertise and passion, we can truly move the needle on diabetes, obesity, heart disease and so many other preventable conditions. And that creates healthier families and communities today and for generations to come.”
Preventive health and wellness screenings and chronic disease management programs are available to everyone. A Riverbrook Regional YMCA membership is not required to be eligible to participate. Interested participants can also register on the Riverbrook Regional YMCA website.
All programs adhere to an established schedule that is available by calling the Wellness Coach Ellen Ryan, RN or MaryAnn Genuario at the Riverbrook YMCA. While some of the programs have associated costs, the YMCA offers financial assistance and scholarships.
For specific cost information, please contact Wellness Coach Program Line at (203) 762-8384, ext. 209 or email firstname.lastname@example.org, or Riverbrook Y Health & Wellness Director MaryAnn Genuario at 203-762-8384, ext. 282 or email email@example.com.